New music

4 Mar 2014

What Omotola Got Wrong About Gender Equality And Why I Believe In It


I just posted OMOTOLA JOLADE EKEINDE's interview where she talks about not believing in Gender Equality. She said "I don’t believe in gender equality. I do not believe that God made man and woman to be equal in any way", and then goes on to explain how allowing her husband to be the head of their home had made her marriage successful. There is something very wrong in that answer.

What I think is that Omotola does not know what Gender Equality means. In marriage, you do not compete with your husband, true, but gender equality is a general society thing, not an individual marriage thing. It means, in society, girls and women are given just the same opportunities as their male counterparts and regarded as moral and intellectual equals in every way.
I'm happy for Omotola at the husband and marriage God has blessed her with, but those who like her shun Feminism and Gender Equality, forget the little ones, those who are not as fortunate as they are. You cannot with one mouth reject gender equality and then show surprise when a man batters a woman in private, or harasses her in public, he does it not just because he is physically stronger, but because he believes he is superior to her.

For those downtrodden women, abused by their men, and oppressed under patriarchy, for the women who have gone before, some of who spoke out, fought and died that I might be educated and have a voice, for my daughters and for thelittle girls yet to come, I will always and forever be a champion of gender equality.


__________

I posted a version of the above on my Facebook page and it generated a ton of discussion so I decided to share it here too. Let's discuss. What do you see as gender equality?

No comments:

Post a Comment