New music

23 Apr 2014

'Proud' Moyes thanks fans following Manchester United sacking


The Scot was dismissed on Tuesday morning
following the club's 11th Premier League defeat of
the season at Everton but spoke of his pride at
having managed the Old Trafford outfit
David Moyes has thanked the Manchester United
fans following his sacking on Tuesday and says he
is "proud" to have managed the club in a
statement made to the League Managers
Association.

Moyes was sacked following a 2-0 loss at Everton
which confirmed the club would miss out on
Champions League football next season and the
Red Devils look set for their lowest finish since the
1989-90 season.
Via the LMA, the Scot said: “To have been
appointed as manager of Manchester United, one of
the biggest football clubs in the world, was and
remains something of which I will always be
incredibly proud.
"Taking charge after such a long period of
continuous stability and success at the club was
inevitably going to be a significant challenge, but it
was one which I relished and never had a second
thought about taking it on.
"The scale of the manager's job at United is
immense, but I have never stepped away from hard
work and the same applies to my coaching staff. I
thank them for their dedication and loyalty
throughout the last season.
"We were fully focused and committed to the
process of the fundamental rebuilding that is
required for the senior squad.
"This had to be achieved whilst delivering positive
results in the Barclays Premier League and the
Champions League.
"However, during this period of transition,
performances and results have not been what
Manchester United and its fans are used to or
expect, and I both understand and share their
frustration."
Sir Alex Ferguson handpicked Moyes last season
to succeed him following 11 years at Goodison
Park but United have suffered a difficult transition.
The club were eliminated from the FA Cup in the
third round - one of many unwanted records
accumulated by the 50-year-old in his one season
in charge.
"In my short time at the club I have learnt what
special places Old Trafford and Carrington are. I
would like to thank the United staff for making me
feel so welcome and part of the United family from
my first day. And of course thank you to those fans
who have supported me throughout the season. I
wish you and the club all the best for the future.
"I have always believed that a manager never stops
learning during his career and I know I will take
invaluable experience from my time as United's
manager. I remain proud to have led the team to
the quarter finals of this year's Champions League
and I remain grateful to Sir Alex Ferguson for
believing in my ability and giving me the chance to
manage Manchester United.”

No comments:

Post a Comment