Richard Mackson, USA TODAY Sports
Share this image:
Richard Mackson, USA TODAY Sports
LOS ANGELES — So much for the Kobe Bryant vs. Dwight Howard story line going away anytime soon.
And after a 108-90 Houston Rockets win at the Staples Center in the season opener on Monday night that was overshadowed by the fourth-quarter fisticuffs between the former Los Angeles Lakers teammates, they have no
one to blame but themselves. As Howard grabbed a rebound and searched for someone to take an outlet pass, Bryant defended him tightly and eventually bore the brunt of the Rockets big man’s left elbow square on the chin.
Unkind words ensued after the foul was called, with Bryant appearing to say “Try me” over and over while also calling him “soft” and Howard hollering while wearing the snarkiest of smiles. Howard was given a Flagrant One foul, and double technicals were assessed. No. Love. Lost.
Despite their politically-correct responses afterward.
Via @CJZero
Via @CJZero
Howard, who left the Lakers for the Rockets as a free agent in 2013, tried his best to avoid the topic while addressing his reporters.
“I’m just happy we won the game,” he said when asked about the situation.
When pressed further to discuss it, Howard said, “It was a great start to the season. We got the win. I’m happy about that. We go from there.”
Howard finally shared his frustration when a third question relating to the incident came his way.
“What do y’all want me to say, because I’m not fitting to give y’all nothing,” Howard said. “It’s stupid. We won the game. It’s over with. I mean, there’s no need to go into it. We won the game. It’s about basketball. I mean it’s over with. It’s nothing. I’m not even focused on it.
“I mean people are always going to talk (about his decision to leave). I had a good time in LA. It didn’t end how everybody wanted it to. Life happens. Things happen, and I’ve moved forward from it. Hopefully the fans and everybody else can and focus on their team…I think it’s over with. I made a decision for myself.”
For Bryant’s part, he had a markedly different tone with the media than he had on the court.
“You can’t help but like him,” Bryant said. “He’s a teddy bear. He’s a really nice kid, and I really mean that. When you compete and you have a goal in mind, I know one way to get there. He elbowed me in the face and I’m going to let him know that I don’t like that. It’s that simple.”